Littlefield Concert Hall is a performance and practice space at Mills College that opened in 1928. It was renamed in honor of donor and Mills alum Jeannik Littlefield following a major 2009 rennovation.
The Spanish revival-style building was designed by Walter H. Ratcliff Jr., who was campus architect from 1923 to 1947. 1 The exterior includes sculptures around the entrance. The lobby has an intricate plaster cast ceiling. The performance hall has a striking ceiling and the upper walls covered in frescoes by Raymond Boynton.
A.S. Lavenson, merchant and father of photographer Alma Lavenson, donated $50,000 towards the construction in 1927. 2
Photos CC SA-BY Our Oakland
Links and References
- Concert Hall History & Renovation mills.edu
- $50,000 Given to Mills by A.S. Lavenson Oakland Tribune February 8, 1927
- Mills College Will Build $230,000 Concert Hall Oakland Tribune October 4, 1927