2025 CC SA-BY Our Oakland
The Lakeside Hotel (Hotel Lakeside in some listings) was at 138 East 12th Street. In 1973-1974, the building was converted to affordable senior apartments.
When constructed in 1927, it had 75 rooms. It was built by the Sommarstrom Brothers. The first operators were Robert Chardon and his wife Celestine Chardon. Herbalist Fong Wan was at least part owner. 4,5 The building includes bas relief carvings near the corners of the roof, and uses decorative porcelain tiles around the entryway.
In 1938, an annex with 50 additional rooms and a parking garage was added. 2
1927 4
Chinese Digest July 1938
1973 1
1973 1
1950 Sanborn excerpt
Lakeside Apartments
The building was converted into affordable senior apartments beginning in 1973. The Lakeside Apartments were dedicated in 1974. 3 The awning labels them Lakemount, and gives an address of 136 East 12th Street.
2025 CC SA-BY Our Oakland
tile detail
Links and References
- Lakeside Hotel Switch To Apartments Starts Oakland Tribune April 18, 1973
- Hotel Adds 50 Rooms Oakland Tribune June 14, 1938
- Senior Complex Finished Oakland Tribune February 17, 1974 (p2)
- Two Important Investments Oakland Tribune September 11, 1927
- Hotel Lakeside Completed Oakland Tribune February 27, 1927

