KEY ROUTE TRAIN STATION On this spot on June 1, 1904, the first Key Route electric train arrived to be welcomed by a crowd of excited residents. From a new ferry pier on the bay off Emeryville it had brought officials and guests to a dedication ceremony here. Key founder and president, “Borax” Smith, welcomed the crowd to the latest form of rapid transit. In 1937 a new station was built from streamlined trains which started running over the Bay Bridge in 1939. Train time from here to First and Mission St. in “The City” was 27 minutes. The last train left from here at 6:45 pm on Saturday, April 19, 1958. Dedicated September 7, 1991 By Piedmont Ave Merchant’s Association and Joaquin Murrietta Chapter 13 of E Clampus Vitus
Key Route Plaza is located at the corner of 41st Street and Piedmont Avenue.
The Key Route Plaza Mural illustrated the story in colorful detail before it was thoughtlessly destroyed.
Photos by HiMYSYeD.