In 1887 the Jurgens Block, originally located "e s Broadway" (east side of Broadway) between 12th and 13th Streets, Oakland, "was a three-story building constructed c.1880 by Charles Jurgens, a German immigrant  who invested widely in real estate and was also closely involved in downtown Oakland development as director of several banks and president of the Oakland Hotel Company. "  The building was replaced in 1935 and 1936 by the Charles Jurgens Company - Lux Theater building at 1224-40 Broadway and 427-49 13th Street.1

1. Downtown Oakland Historic District, National Register nomination form