The Juanita Hotel was an Oakland hotel in the 1880s, located at what is now 1728 San Pablo Avenue on the southeast corner of 18th Street and San Pablo Avenue. The hotel sat on lot(s) which were originally a portion of the 'Campbell Tract' of 1878.
In January 1946, a fire damaged what was then known as the Majestic Hotel. It also damaged furniture in the California Furniture Company on the ground floor. 2
Following the fire, the lower floors of the hotel were redesigned by architect Harry A. Schary in 1946 into the Art Deco building which housed the California Furniture Company, and later California Art Supply. The Piedmont Piano Company remodeled the building and moved to the site in 2010. 3 During the process of their remodeling, they found remnants of an old stairway from the hotel that led out to 18th Street. 4
Links and References
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room and Maps Division
- $5000 Fire Damages Oakland Hotel Oakland Tribune January 21, 1946
- Piedmont Piano Company official website
- Wayback Machine copy of Piedmont Piano Company website from 2010