Isaac Upham (May 22, 1837 – August 17, 1908) was a businessman and president of the Board of Education of Oakland.
1887 BOARD OF EDUCATION: President, Isaac Upham
The San Francisco Call
San Francisco, California
18 Aug 1908, Tue • Page 1
UPHAM'S USEFUL LIFE The public positions that Upham has filled are as follows: President of , the board of education of the city of Oakland, 1835 to 1S90; president of the San Francisco board of trade. ISS9;to 1S90; member of the board of \u25a0 managers of the Agnews state hospital. 1333 until the present date; president of the Agnews asylum board from 1900 until the present time: president of the San Francisco traffic association from 1593 to 1534; director of the San Francisco and San Joaquin valley railroad company until the line was sold to the Santa Fe; president of the Boys* training home; "president of the Children's aid society; director In the Boys* and Girls* Aid society. y In' addition to his interest fn these organizations he was a ; Mason, a Knight Templar, a Mystic Shriner and a member of the Pacific-Union cluo. Isaac Upham was born in Union, Me., in 1837. In the spring of 1860 he sailed from New York on a steamer bound for California. He first secured employment in this state as, a clerk -In- a store in Yuba county at |25 a- month. A frw 2 months later he was teaching school In Buttc county !n a district which is still known /is Upham district. in the fall of 1563 he was elected county superintendent of schools in Butte county, which position he filled for two years. In the fall of 1867 he was elected superintendent of schools of Yuba county and served until March, 1570,, uROWTH OK HIS Bt'SINESS In IS7O he removed to San Francisco, where he purchased an interest in the firm of Henry Payot & C 0.., at that time dealing almost exclusively in foreign books, at 622 Washington street. In 1876 they removed to 204 Sansome street, where they rcmanied until 1891, when they were again forced to remove because of cramped quarters. They then secured a lease on a building at the corner of Pine and Battery streets and soon afterward established a printing, book binding and engraving pjfent This necessitated the lease of eight floors in adjoining buildings. In 1902 the firm purchased property on the opposite corner and erected a six Ftory building 1 thereon. At that time the jusiness was the largest of the kind west of Chicago. After the flre and earthquake the firm did not reenter the field. The two sons of the deceased. Isaiah Oliver and Benjamin Prince Upham. together with J. L. Upliam. continued the business along the same linos. For several months Upham had been living at the Hotel Vendome and was supervising the reconstruction of the state hospital buildings at Agnew. in In an of is If of it he
Residence: Upham Place--1155 Jackson St (@13th St); Northwest Corner, Oakland, CA
Upham Place sold in 1889 for $29,000 usd.
Payot, Upham & Co--San Francisco 1906
Bicycle Accident- San Jose 1908
Buried in Mountain View Cemetery