Hotel Touraine is a hotel building at Clay Street and 16th Street in downtown Oakland. It has approximately 108 rooms. The building was designed by Henry H. Meyers.
The name Touraine ultimately comes from a region in France. 'Touraine' was a surprisingly popular name for a hotel, with examples from Paris, France; Buffalo, NY; Chatham, New Brunswick, Canada; and of course, Oakland.
The hotel was first at 14th and Clay c.1900, with the property owned by William Dingee and William Henshaw. 1 Henshaw sold the property in 1906. 3 In 1909, plans were made to build a new store for H. C. Capwell's at the location. 4,5 A new building preserving the name was constructed in 1914 at 16th and Clay. 2
Sometime between 2009 and 2014, the once-elegant signs were rebuilt in a somewhat less elegant form.
Links and References
- The Touraine in New Hands Oakland Tribune December 20, 1900
- State Realty Federation Organ Tells of Oakland Prosperity Oakland Tribune December 14, 1913
- Hotel Touraine at 14th and Clay Streets Transferred San Francisco Call March 11, 1906
- Contract Awarded For New Capwell Building San Francisco Call July 16, 1910
- Important Oakland Leases San Francisco Call May 30, 1909