The Hotel Savoy was a hotel at 15th and Jefferson. The building (and the adjacent Oaks Hotel) are now The Savoy, affordable housing run by SAHA. For some years, the Hotel Savoy was known as the Jefferson Inn, and run as a market-rate hotel. 1
Constructed in 1912, the Hotel Savoy opened in 1913. Even before it was opened, it was leased to N.A. Primrose for 10 years. 2
The hotel was sold in 1920 by I.L. and W.P. Green, of Butte, MT, to H.C. Bell, Glenn County, CA, for $175,000. 6
In 1923, the People's Finance and Thrift Co. had its office in the Hotel Savoy. 4
A fire at the paint and paper store of Charles Nelson at 1418 Jefferson imperiled the Hotel Savoy and the Hotel Sutter, and damaged the Oaks Hotel. 5
Sometime after 1969, the name was changed to the Jefferson Inn.
NB: note the Baker electric car in the 1914 photo.
Links and References
- The Savoy sahahomes.org
- Owen Apartments Are Leased for Ten Years Oakland Tribune November 17, 1912
- More Than Million Is Being Spent in Hotels Oakland Tribune June 22, 1913
- ad Oakland Tribune January 11, 1923
- Guests Flee Fire in Negligee Oakland Tribune April 10, 1924
- Hotel Savoy Sold Oakland Tribune June 6, 1920