Higgins House is the Italianate-style mansion of San Francisco lumberman Elisha Higgins and his wife Cecilia A. Higgins, which is in what is now Preservation Park.
The house is in its original location, where it was built in 1886. In 1889 Cecilia's was the only name on the tax rolls. Higgins was part of the San Francisco lumber firm Higgins and Collins, but little is known about it. Unlike some of the other nearby houses, the Higgins House was never sub-divided into multiple dwellings or substantially altered.
Elisha Higgins died January 29, 1898. 1
A fire damaged the building in 2007. 2
Links and References
- Death of Elisha Higgins, the Well-Known Ship-Owner and Lumber Merchant San Francisco Call February 1, 1898
- Fire in Preservation Park confined to Higgins House by Annalee Allen Oakland Tribune July 1, 2007