Greater Cooper A.M.E. Zion Church (originally Cooper's African Zion Church) is a long-time church in West Oakland, currently at 1420 Myrtle Street. The church dates back to at least 1902. 2 It was also sometime referred to as the Campbell Street Church. 5

In 1903, the church was at 949 Campbell Street, with Rev. Cary B.F. Moore as pastor. 3 In 1931, they moved into a new a building at 849 Union Street. 1 In 1940, 849 Union was marked for part of a redevelopment project, and they purchased 1420 Myrtle Street, previously First Church of the Nazarene. A few weeks later, $5,000 in damage was done by a fire started by an arsonist. 4

944 Campbell, 1916-1917 directoryRev. W.W. Matthews1902 Sanborn excerpt

Links and References

  1. ​Cooper A.M.E. Zion to Dedicate New Structure Oakland Tribune January 31, 1931
  2. Large Attendance at Conference Oakland Tribune February 17, 1902
  3. Husted's Oakland 1903 Directory
  4. Church Blaze Hurts 2 Here; Hunt Firebugs Oakland Tribune February 1, 1940
  5. Activities Among Negroes by Delilah Beasley Oakland Tribune May 11, 1924