The Great Western Power Station (aka the Park Boulevard Substation), located at 3729 Park Boulevard, Oakland, was constructed by the Great Western Power Company in 1908, and expanded in 1909. 1 The building is located between what are now Grosvenor Place and Park Blvd, originally identified as Matthews Street and Fourth Avenue. Pacific Gas and Electric Company, which purchased Great Western in 1930, currently owns and operates the station.
The July 1926 Journal of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers lists Richard E. Ballew, systems dispatcher and Henry N. Petersen, load dispatcher. F.E. Sylvester was applying for IEEE membership. 4
Despite being a commercial building owned by PG&E, the property is within the boundaries of the Lakeshore Homes Association, making it the only non-residential property within the association. PG&E is required to pay dues to the Association just like any other property owner. As of 2015, the dues were $170 per property.
Links and References
- Electric Power Sub - Station Oakland Tribune May 2, 1909
- Image(s) used by permission of the UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library
- Views of Oakland, California, Online Archive of California
- Membership - Applications, elections, transfers, etc. Journal of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers July 1926