This is a WANTED page. We need more content, images, sources, and links, preferably not just cut-and-paste from an external source.
A few assorted recollections about the convenience store/cornershop at Grand & Perkins:
- It has been in business at least since the 1960s (likely much longer)
- the house above it (in whose basement the market resides) is one of the few remaining 1%er mansions that used to ring Lake Merritt; though obscured and used for offices for decades, it is still terribly fancy, with loads of Gilded Age style
- for decades the market was operated (and perhaps owned?) by asians (my late, un-PC mother always referred to it as “The Chinaman”)
- Today it is proudly Ethiopian, with Amharic script on the awning, a rampant Lion of Judah painted in the window, and everything
- add more content here … yeah you …