The Gooch Block (1876) was designed and built in 1876 by John S. Tibbals for A.J. Gooch, and is located from 817 to 829 Washington Street. The upper floors of the building were originally the site of the Winsor Hotel (later the Rex Hotel), but have now been converted to office space. 1 Since the 1930s, the building has been owned by the Ratto family and their descendants (currently the Durantes), owners and operators of Ratto's Market and Deli on the ground floor.
On December 20, 1983 the Gooch Block was designated Oakland Landmark #LM 83-379.
An 1876 article describes a mini building boom that was occurring at the intersection c.1876. (Though it says Mr. Good instead of A.J. Gooch.) 5
The names of Tibbals and Gooch and the date can still be seen on the front step leading to the former hotel entrance.
At some point before c.1940 the dome on top was removed.
Over the years, the building suffered at least two significant fires. In 1957, a fire caused an estimated $3,000 in damage to several rooms and the 2nd and 3rd story hallways. 2 In 1974, a $250,000 fire caused the roof to collapse and badly damaged the 3rd floor. 3
Links and References
- LoopNet listing and flyer (outdated) 825 Washington Flyer UPDATED.pdf
- Two Firemen Escape Injury in Hotel Blaze Oakland Tribune September 15, 1957
- 30 Routed as Fire Damages Rex Hotel Oakland Tribune April 15, 1974
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room and Maps Division
- Building Notes Oakland Tribune May 5, 1876