17th Street building 938th and Telegraph CC SA-BY Our Oakland

The German Methodist Episcopal Church (or German Methodist Church) was located at 528-530 - 17th Street, then later at 3800 Telegraph.

The congregation was founded in 1872. 15 Their first church building was purchased from the First Methodist Episcopal Church and moved to 17th Street in 1875. 17 In 1907, a new church was built and dedicated at Telegraph and 38th. 7

c.1877, Rev. H. Brueck was the pastor. 18

c.1887-1889 Rev. Louis Kroeck 1,4 was the church pastor. The 1889-1890 directory lists living next door at 526 - 17th St. 1 The same directory also lists Rev. Frederick Bonn as the pastor of the German Methodist Episcopal Church. 2

1889-c.1894 Rev. August Lemkau 3,6 was the pastor of the German Methodist Church and living at 526 - 17th St. 5 (NB: so far as I've found, he's not directly related to Henry Lemkau.) Lemkau had previously been pastor at a church in Stockton. 6

In 1899, Rev. L. E. Schneider was appointed the pastor, succeeding Rev. R. Steinbach, who had been there since c.1894. 8

In 1901, the church was remodeled (rebuilt?) and rededicated. One of the new features was a large, round stained-glass window. Rev. L. E. Schneider was still pastor. 9

In 1907, a new church at Telegraph and 38th was dedicated. [ Q: If that's the building that's still there, it has a very similar shape and has a large, round stained-glass window. The same window? ] Rev. J. Schneider was the pastor. In 1908, Schneider was called to take over the First German Church of San Francisco. 13

In 1911, Rev. Henry J. Hobert was the pastor. 10

In 1924 and 1928, Rev. G. A. Waasa was the pastor. He lived at 494 - 38th St. next to the church. 11

As late as Christmas, 1934, it was still called United German Methodist Church. 14

In 1935, the directory lists Calvary Methodist Church at 3800 Telegraph. So it was no longer identified as German Methodist, but the very German-sounding Rev. Rudolph Zubuchen was pastor. 12

In 1950, newly-renamed Montclair Calvary Methodist Church laid the cornerstone of a new building at the corner of Snake Rd. and Mountain Blvd. A newspaper article doesn't mention the German roots, but does say the church was organized in 1872 at 6th Street and Washington before moving to the 17th Street location. 15 However, it was decided that although Calvary Methodist was sponsoring the new church, it was considered a new congregation, and the new name was to be Montclair Methodist Church. 16

new 1950 church

Links and References

  1. Louis Kroeck Husted's Oakland 1889-1890
  2. German Methodist Episcopal Church Husted's Oakland 1889-1890
  3. Investigation of the Charges Against Rev. Mr. Liljegren San Francisco Call August 22, 1891
  4. The Methodist Clergy Daily Alta California September 7, 1887
  5. The Eastern Shore Daily Alta California June 15, 1890
  6. The Eastern Shore Daily Alta California September 15, 1889
  7. Church is Dedicated San Francisco Call September 23, 1907
  8. A New German Pastor San Francisco Call October 2, 1899
  9. Reconstructed Church Given New Dedication San Francisco Call July 8, 1901
  10. Polk-Husted 1911 Directory
  11. Polk's 1924 Directory
  12. Polk's 1935 Directory
  13. Pastor To Preach Farewell Sermon San Francisco Call September 20, 1908
  14. Methodist Church Directory Oakland Tribune December 22, 1934
  15. Cornerstone Laying is Highlight Today of Oakland Area Church Activities Oakland Tribune August 13, 1950
  16. drawing Oakland Tribune November 5, 1950
  17. Church Items Daily Alta California October 17, 1875
  18. Bishop's 1877 Directory