NAME, Years Elected to City Council
George Earl (1844-?) served on City Council in 1889, 1890 and 1897.
George Earl was a member of the "Solid Six" in the City Council. One source lists Earl as a carpenter3 and another suggests that he owned a bar.4 The most notorious thing about Earl is that in 1899 he disappeared for at least six weeks and even his wife did not know where he went. It is unclear if he reappeared.
OTHER POSITIONS IN CITY GOVERNMENT
Deputy and Bailiff of Superior Court Department 22
- "Oakland News." San Francisco Chronicle: Sep 25, 1892.
- "Earl is Now Bailiff." San Francisco Chronicle: Feb 28, 1894.
- Husted's Oakland, Alameda and Berkeley Directory: 1889-1890.
- "Missing for Many Weeks." San Francisco Chronicle: May 14, 1899.
- Alameda County: The Eden of the Pacific. Tribune Publishing Co: 1898.