May Gardening Tips
Prepared by the Alameda County Master Gardeners
Spring Months: April and May are among the busiest months for gardeners. Almost all warm season vegetables, herbs and annual flowers are planted.
All summer vegetables can be planted (beans, corn, squash, tomatoes, peppers, melons, etc.).
- All summer annual flowers can be planted or sown.
- Continue planting summer bulbs.
- In cooler areas east of the coastal hills, continue planting beets and carrots.
- Thin fruit on fruit trees as needed (use the width of your closed fist as a rough guide). For more information, read up on thinning here.
- Check to be sure that your irrigation system is working and meets the needs of your garden.
For more information on gardening tips and information from the Alameda County Master Gardeners, go to http://acmg.ucdavis.edu/