Fruitvale Presbyterian Church (1880-2012) was the first Presbyterian church in the Dimond.
In 1880, Franklin Rhoda, son of Frederick Rhoda, with four others, organized a Sunday School in a building at the corner of Boston Ave. and School Street. They met there for six years, when it was realized they needed a complete church:
"In 1886, with the help of the Session of Brooklyn Presbyterian church, who recognized the need for a complete church in our area, Fruitvale was started at Palmetto Street." 1
The church was officially organized in 1890 with 14 charter members. In 1896, the name was changed from Prospect Hill Presbyterian to Fruitvale Presbyterian Church. 1
Two young girls, Ann Morrison and Myrtle Seammon, collected money in the small farming community of Fruit Vale for the church bell 1; the same church bell was still in use when the church closed in 2012. 2
Links and References
- History - Fruitvale Presbyterian Church (via Wayback machine)
- Fruitvale Presbyterian, after 123 years in Oakland, holds final service Sunday Oakland North September 1, 2012