The John. C. Fremont High School was the successor of Fruitvale High School, and was organized in 1905 by Frank Stuart Rosseter. It was the second largest high school in 1917 with 1100 students. The old building was destroyed in an arson fire on the night of January 1, 1930; reconstruction cost more than $430,000. 1,2 The nearly 1,300 students were divided between Roosevelt High School, Alexander Hamilton Junior High School, and "the new East Oakland high school." 3 (presumably Castlemont High School, which had opened in 1929.)
PHONE: (510) 434.5257
Links and References
- Oakland, 1852-1938 : some phases of the social, political and economic history of Oakland, California. Editors, Edgar J. Hinkel, William E. McCann ; published by the Oakland Public Library as a report of official project no. 465-03-3-337, conducted under the auspices of the Works Progress Administration, 1939.
- Fremont High School Set Afire, Destroyed; Another Bombed; Third Plot Fails Oakland Tribune January 2, 1930
- Fremont Students to be Apportioned in 3 Schools Oakland Tribune January 2, 1930