(this page needs a better title, but the point is fun and free activities!)
First Things First
- Drive across the Bay Bridge...in the Oakland direction.
- Wild Oakland offers free monthly nature walks and classes.
- Enjoy outdoor activities at Lake Temescal.
- Do some geocaching.
- See majestic redwoods without crossing a bridge in Redwood Regional Park!
- Walk Oakland's urban pathways and stairways with Oakland Urban Paths
- Take a walk around Lake Merritt!
- East Bay Bike Party every second Friday. Bicycle ride slash dance party.
Smell the Flowers
- Lake Merritt is home to a botanical garden (make sure to check hours!)
- Check out the roses at Morcom Rose Garden.
See the People
- Friday nights at the Oakland Museum of California including Off the Grid food trucks, free music/dancing and reduced admission costs for the museum.
- "Speaking from Experience Circles" http://joyfulharmony.org/wordpress/index.php/speaking-circle
- Farmer's Markets around Oakland are a great place to see Oakland in action.
- Check out the action at Art Murmur, held on the first Friday of every month.
- Take a walk in the scenic and historic Mountain View Cemetery. (You might see dead people?)
Learn the History
- Visit the Oakland Museum of California (for free!) on the first Sunday of every month.
- Many historical buildings can be visited free of charge (check hours!)
- Take an Oakland Walking Tour (are these dates good for 2013?)
- Visit an historic lightship in Jack London Square.
- Look up historic photos of your neighborhood at the Oakland History Room. (And then write a Wiki entry about it!)
- Take a walk: Walk the Invisible Steps.
Taste the Flavor
- Tour the Fortune Cookie Factory. to learn about the history of the fortune cookie and sample cookies! Make sure you book online at their website.
$5 and Under
- Guided tours of the Paramount run first and third Saturdays. $5
- Classic movies at the Paramount. $5
- See and discuss "Movies that Matter" for FREE! One the first and third Friday nights http://joyfulharmony.org/wordpress/index.php/category/movies/
- Art Salon to see and share what's beautiful in life on the second Thursday monthly: http://joyfulharmony.org/wordpress/index.php/art-salon/
Lists of Things to Do for Cheap(ish) if You Run Out of Things to Do in Oakland (WHAT?!)