The Free Baptist Church was founded by Simeon P. Meads in 1884 as the Free Baptist Mission. A building was constructed in 1886, and the church incorporated in February, 1887. 3 The church was at the southeast corner of 21st and Brush Streets.
"On March 16, 1884, we opened a mission on San Pablo Avenue, near 20th Street, Oakland. A little later we rented a lot on the south side of 21st Street, near Brush Street with the privilege of buying. We erected a church building and dedicated it March 28, 1886, the lot having been paid for. A church was organized in February, 1887." 1
The Free Baptist Church merged with First Baptist Church in 1910. 2