When the City of Oakland was originally laid out, Kellersberger's map showed Franklin Square occupying the block bounded by Broadway and 5th, Franklin and 4th Streets.  When Oakland became the county seat for Alameda County in 1874 at the urging of then-mayor Nathaniel Spaulding, Franklin Square was given to the County as the site for the Hall of Records.  The site is still used for County offices.