It seems like there's no happy medium right now. We're in the middle of a huge drought but now it's raining and it's going to flood!
Here are some things you can do:
- Adopt a Drain - Please visit www.adoptadrainoakland.com to find out how to help prevent storm drain blockages.
- Flood Preparation - Please check your area for flooding history, and update your special flood insurance.
Get some sandbags from your local hardware or home improvement store to help prevent rain from coming into your doors, basements, etc. Oakland Public Works supplies residents and businesses with sandbags (a maximum of 10) and plastic sheeting (20 feet per household/business) to help avoid flooding and drainage issues. They are available for pickup at the City's Municipal Service Center and the Public Works Drainage Division facility Proof of Oakland residency is required. Please see below for addresses and distribution hours.
- Municipal Service Center, 7101 Edgewater Drive, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Saturday & Sunday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., After Hours (in front of entry gate) 4:30 p.m. - 8:00 a.m.
- Drainage Division Facility, 5921 Shepherd Canyon Road, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., After Hours (in front of entry gate) 4:30 p.m. - 8:00 a.m. (before inclement weather)
- Report storm drain and other City maintenance needs via the Public Works Call Center: