photo by mk30

The building at 1701 Franklin St. in downtown Oakland is a Romanesque-revival-style church built by First Church of Christ, Scientist, Oakland. The cornerstone was laid in 1900 and the building was opened and dedicated free of debt on January 5, 1902 1. Designed by Henry A. Schulze out of Nevada limestone 1, the church has a number of large original stained-glass windows that were designed by Charles Grolle and made in Chicago, Illinois by the firm of Flannigan and Biedeveg. 2

Minor repairs were needed to the church following the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 and in the 1906 earthquake. In late 2015, the church held a farewell Christmas concert. The church building was sold was to become the headquarters of Jeremy's, a local women's clothing chain, but the owner of the chain announced in early November 2016 that these plans had fallen through due to permitting delays. 3, 4, 5

In July of 2019, a relatively new church known as Resurrection Oakland Church purchased the property, and they recently announced plans to begin holding services in the building on September 15, 2019. 6 On August 13, 2019, Nzilani Glass of Oakland started a restoration project on some of the stained glass windows in the building. 7 

The original First Church of Christ, Scientist has consolidated with the Tenth Church of Christ, Scientist, and the consolidated First Church meets in the former Tenth Church's building at 1880 Mountain Blvd., Oakland. 8

CC SA-BY Our Oakland

Links and References

  1. http://www.careyandco.com (via Internet Archive's Wayback Machine)
  2. Jerri Holan and Associates website (includes photos of the windows)
  3. Oakland historic church to be women's clothing store by Annalee Allen Oakland Tribune January 8, 2016
  4. Bay Area retailer Jeremy's withdraws plans for Oakland, Anne Sciacca, East Bay Times, November 10, 2016
  5. Jeremys website
  6. Resurrection Oakland website
  7. Nzilani Glass Instagram posts - 8/13/19 and 8/14/19
  8. First Church of Christ, Scientist website