The Esquire Theatre was located at 1715 San Pablo Avenue.
When it first opened on September 2, 1916 the Reliance Theatre was large, with 1,800 audience seats. It was in the building of the Reliance Athletic Club, constructed in 1892. 1
Four years later in 1920 the theater underwent a name change to the American Theatre. Finally, in August 1939 the theater was once again renamed to the Esquire Theatre. It closed in 1952.
1932 41943 2
A streamlined commercial building that originally housed a Mel's Drive In (with an address of 1701 San Pablo) replaced the theater building.
Links and References
Theatres of Oakland by Jack Tillamy and Jennifer Dowling
ohrphoto.oaktheaters.016 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library
ohrphoto.oaktheaters.015 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library
ohrphoto.oaktheaters.001 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library