The Encinal Home Mill was relocated to Oakland in 1876 by its owner, William Williamson, following a disastrous flood on the Sacramento River which wiped out his Rio Vista mill in 1866.  After crating up his equipment, Williamson arrived on a barge in Oakland, and set up the plant at 4th and Washington Streets.  Williamson became business partners with Henry Gould in 1885 and in the early 1890's, the two expanded the plant to increase production.