The Empyrean Towers are located at 344 - 13th Street, in Downtown Oakland, California. The target customers are 'professionals, students and travelers.' Not to be confused with the Hotel Oakland which is in the next block down.
The Empyrean Towers Apartments were the Hotel Menlo, a residence hotel, until about 2011. The previous owner was charged in an arson plot to burn it down. 3 Ironically, "empyrean" means "the highest heaven, supposed by the ancients to contain the pure element of fire."
The apartments feature a mural on the front by Chuck Light.
After complaints from residents and repeated code violations 4, the building was finally red-tagged by the city in May 7, 2015 because of contaminated water. 5
Links and References
- The Empyrean Towers official website
- The Menlo Hotel, Oakland, CA by Susan Joy Rippberger
- Oakland hotel owner pleads guilty in arson plot, Oakland Tribune, July 13, 2011
- New complaints, enforcement questions about troubled East Bay hotel KTVU.com
- Contaminated water forces out about 100 residents of Oakland residential hotel Oakland Tribune May 8, 2015
- signs: Hotel Menlo on Our Oakland (see also the comments)