Edmond Philo Sanford was an early resident of Oakland. He built the Sanford Building in 1865.1 A pharmacist, he was the first druggist in Oakland, and was one half of the early apothecary business, Sanford, Kelsey & Co. He was married to Jane Clark.
His son, Edmond Clark Sanford, was one of the first psychologists on the West Coast.2
The ground level of the Sanford Building is now home to Starbucks and The Trappist.3
1. "The Architecture of Oakland: The Sanford Building." Oakland North: January 11, 2013.
2. Mayer, Ronald M. "EDMUND CLARK SANFORD, 1859 - 1924." Proceedings, 80th Annual Convention, APA, 1972, pp 775-776.
3. "Old Oakland" website.