East Oakland Boxing Association (EOBA)
816 98th Avenue Oakland CA 94603
|General Email Address|
The EOBA provides an after school and summer "Smart Moves" program that includes homework tutoring, mentoring, sports, arts and crafts, computer lab, service learning projects, health and nutrition workshops, field trips and gardening.
The EOBA also serves as a youth employment/training site.
|Days Open||see below|
|Nearby Bus Lines|
|Nearby BART Stops|
|Leadership Opportunities?||Education, Social and Recreational|
This organization is listed in the Youth Services Directory.
The EOBA was founded in 1987 by Stanley Garcia (1940-2010), a former professional boxer and long-time Oakland resident. While the center of activities is boxing, the EOBA has always put a focus on growing the kids. When the gym first opened in 1987, there was boxing equipment but computers as well—homework came first. 1 The organization has since expanded to include academic help, gardening, cooking, art, field trips, and more. The kids get a meal every day, and they learn to cook it. 2
Frank Rose was a long-time board chair and chief fundraiser for the EOBA.
Links and References
- East Oakland Boxing Association website
- East Oakland Boxing Association: One of the Neighborhood’s Vital Organs Oakland Local (Community Voices) May 25, 2014
- East Oakland boxing club struggles to stay afloat SFGate.com March 29, 2012
- Friends, family, and proteges pay tribute to East Oakland Boxing Association founder Oakland North February 6, 2010
- Thinking outside the boxing ring in East Oakland KALW April 20, 2012