The East Bay Dragons are a motorcycle club in Oakland. Started in 1959, it was one of the first all-black motorcycle clubs.
The club was originally started as a car club by Tobie Gene Levingston, who wrote a book Soul on Bikes: The East Bay Dragons MC and the Black Biker Set along with Keith and Kent Zimmerman.
The club was recognized in a city council proclamation on January 8, 2014:
"The East Bay Dragons Motorcycle Club, when dealing with a community often battling negativity and violence, have remained a symbol of positive community activism, and pride within Oakland and within the African American community."
Links and References
- www.eastbaydragons.com website
- East Bay Dragons Flickr photo stream
- Recognizing The East Bay Dragons Motorcycle Club
- East Bay Dragons MC on Wikipedia
- Soul on Bikes by Tobie Gene Levingston, Keith and Kent Zimmerman. Forward by Sonny Barger
- CHOSEN FEW & EAST BAY DRAGONS | AMERICA’S BLACK BIKER SET REVISITED on The Selvedge Yard
- Oakland City Council to Commemorate Founding of Historic East Bay Biker Club on EBCitizen.com
- Oakland motorcycle club member shot to death San Francisco Chronicle September 28, 2011
- East Bay Dragons Motorcycle Club: On the Road for 55 Years KQED: The California Report November 30, 2014