Downs Memorial United Methodist Church is a Methodist church at 6026 Idaho Street in the Golden Gate district.
The church was founded in 1890 as Golden Gate Methodist Episcopal Church, a predominately white church at 59th Street and Gaskill. It closed in 1946 due to declining membership. In 1948, it was renamed in memory of Dr. Karl Downs, a young black Methodist minister, noted for his work in race reconciliation.
Reverend Roy C. Nichols was appointed in 1949. He served on the Berkeley School Board in the 1960s; he ran for Berkeley City Council and lost. Rev. Nichols served until July 6, 1964. 1
Links and References
- From Labor to Reward: Black Church Beginnings by Martha Taylor
- Pastor of Downs Memorial Methodist Church in Oakland finds 'the right place' SFGate.com November 23, 2001
- Oakland church offers food, fellowship to those in need East Bay Times December 20, 2016
- The Unsung Heart of Black America: A Middle Class Church at Mid-century by Dona Irvin