Douglas Charles Sweeney (September 6, 1918 – January 20, 2000) was a city council member elected by the council in July, 1949 to fill the unexpired term of the late Vernon Lantz. 1

Sweeney was the brother of James J. Sweeney, Jr,, who was then a battalion chief and went on to serve as chief of the Oakland Fire Department from 1955 to 1972. Their father, James J. Sweeney, Sr. was a long-time veteran with the fire department.

After graduating from St. Mary's College, Sweeney enlisted in the U.S. Army in April, 1943. Sweeney served in Alaska and was honorably discharged in February, 1946.

Sweeney ran a clothing store with George Isola at 4069 Telegraph Avenue. He was a member of the Temescal Merchants' Association, and the North Oakland Optimist Club1

Sweeney was active in the local VFW Post, then in 1948 he ran for Alameda County Supervisor for district 5. 2

Links and References

  1. Douglas C. Sweeney Sworn Into City Council to Replace Lantz Oakland Tribune July 27, 1949
  2. Political Notes and Comment of East Bay Interest Oakland Tribune May 23, 1948