The Dimond Gateway Mural was painted in April, 2009. Kristi Holohan of Arts and Creative Expression (ACE Arts) proposed the project to the city as a "multi-dimensional welcoming image" as a gateway to the Dimond, along with the Dimond Gateway Peace Park that was already constructed. (Read entire proposal here) Along with members and youth of the community, the design planned to incorporate "welcome" in many languages as well as imagery of Sausal Creek which is an important feature of the Dimond District. The mural was painted with neighbors, merchants, youth, students from Bret Harte Middle School and anyone who passed by and wanted to participate.
Coverage of the mural
- "Community Mural in the Dimond District." monteskewed: April 24, 2009.
- "Dimond Gateway Mural." Arts & Creative Expression: November 13, 2009.
- "Dimond Gateway Dedication" (Video)
- Campbell, Carrie and Ashley Rodgers. "Mural Dedication Launches Public Art Program." MacArthur Metro, June: 2010.
- Saulson, Sumiko. "'Sausal on my Mind' mural illustrates gateway to local wildlife." Examiner.com: April 1, 2013.