The Defenders' Recreation Club was a WWI-era clubhouse for military personnel at 13th and Harrison. In August 1918, a dance hall was constructed adjacent to the clubhouse. It was part of the work of the local War Camp Community Service.
The dance hall was constructed in 16 hours with labor donated by local building unions. 2
An armistice was signed in November 1918, but the club continued to serve returning veterans for a time.
The 1950 Sanborn shows the A.A.H.M.E.S. Temple (Shriners) and A.A.H.M.E.S. Pavilion in the location. [ were they the same buildings? ]
Links and References
- ohrphoto.oaklandclubs.036 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library
- Union Labor Makes Gift to Fighters; Workers Build Club in 16 Hours Oakland Tribune August 19, 1918
- BANC PIC 1996.003:Volume 27:123b--fALB Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley
- Defenders Club Is Like Home Oakland Tribune June 16, 1918
- 2001.1.1065 by M.L. Cohen, Oakland Museum of California