Deaf, Dumb and Blind Asylum, Oakland (1860/1870) 1

The Deaf, Dumb and Blind Asylum was in what would later become Berkeley beginning in 1867.

The building of the asylum was destroyed by fire on January 17, 1875. When a group from the Nevada State Senate and Assembly visited the asylum in 1875 to check on the welfare of children sent to stay at the facility from Nevada they make note of the fire, and that the children were being provided for in an adjoining building. Ground was broken for the new buildings on April 30, 1877. 2

In 1906, an amendment to the Political Code changed the name from the Asylum for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind, to the California Institution for the Deaf and Blind. 2

Deaf, Dumb and Blind Asylum (1860/1870) 1

In 1887 the facility was listed as the Deaf, Dumb and Blind Institute located in Berkeley, with most of the staff residing in Berkeley.

Links and References

  1. Society of California Pioneers
  2. History of CSB: 1860-2010 - California School for the Blind