The Davis Block or Davis Building was an office and retail building on the northwest corner of 11th and Washington Streets. It was built c.1888 by then-mayor William R. Davis. 1
Much of the block was taken up by the adjacent Blake Block and the Blake Block Annex.
In 1895, a fire badly damaged the Blake Block. The Davis Block was somewhat damaged by the fire, too.
The Davis Block was later home to a branch of National Dollar Stores.
Links and References
- Three Little Pigs Oakland Tribune December 29, 1888
- Oakland, Calif. illustrated in photo-gravure from recent negatives, A. (Adolph) Witteman, 1892, courtesy of Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library and Online Archive of California
- Fire Bells Oakland Tribune May 3, 1895
- ohrphoto.dpoa7.027 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library