The Dalziel Building was a 6-story office building on 15th St. facing the then-new city hall. It was built in 1913 on the site of the Dalziel family home by Robert Dalziel, Jr.
It was originally constructed as offices for doctors and dentists. Around WWII, it was converted into the Dalziel Apartments.
The building was badly damaged in the 1989 earthquake. Because of its proximity to city hall, it was decided to tear it and the adjacent Wetmore Pardee Building down and construct new offices for the city, The new Dalziel Building opened in 1997. 1
Links and References
- Artist gets prime spot at historical Dalziel Building Oakland Tribune February 12, 2006