Dahlke's was a bar on Broadway from 1904 to at least 1962 (an Oakland History Facebook group member remembers it as late as the early 1990s.) It was at the corner of Broadway and 7th across from the police station. Later it was known as Dahlke's Hof Brau. The founder and namesake was August "Gus" Albert Dahlke (January 7, 1878 – September 2, 1943).
Dahlke bought the saloon in 1904 from Jeremiah Hanifin. 3 Dahlke's brother Anton Henry Dahlke (February 27, 1868 – March 27, 1946) sold cigars at the same location. Gus Dahlke married Bertha Augusta Kley (Dahlke) (September 24, 1883 – November 11, 1964) on June 18, 1902, and they had two daughters, Alma Justina Dahlke (Smith) and Anita B. Dahlke (Moore).
In 1962, the 2nd floor of the building was removed to modernize it. The bar was owned by Gus' daughter, Alma and managed by his grandson, James Smith. It was co-managed by Johnny Lothain. 3
Bits and Pieces
In 1927 Max Brown had his Bar Mitzvah at Temple Beth Jacob at 9th and Castro St. "Max recalled what services were like at Beth Jacob at that time, describing how they would slip out of services during the High Holidays and go to Dahlke's Bar, have a root beer and listen to the World Series on the radio." 2
Mrs. Patricia Hardy sued Dahlke and William Kley (Bertha's brother) in 1933, seeking $10,000 because she'd slipped on a wet floor and suffered a wrenched back, a concussion, and "shock to her nervous system". 5 The suit was thrown out because Hardy was unable to identify what she slipped on and where in the bar.
In 1967, Bank of America moved into part of the Dahlke building at 715 Broadway. 4
Links and References
- Polk-Husted Directory 1911
- Beth Jacob Oakland - History
- Landmark Bar, Restaurant To Get New, Modern Look Oakland Tribune November 14, 1962
- Moving Day for Two Branch Banks Oakland Tribune May 21, 1967
- $10,000 Asked For Bar Fall Oakland Tribune July 4, 1933
- Dalhke's ashtray on Flickr
- A. A. Dahlke token on tokencatatalog.com