CC SA-BY Our Oakland

Clarence Cooper Mortuary (also Cooper Chapel) is a long-time funeral home at 1580 Fruitvale Avenue, dating back to 1912. The business was run by family until the Oakland Diocese purchased it in 2007. 1

The business was started in 1912 by Clarence N. Cooper at 9032 E.14th. By 1922, he had opened a second parlor at 3347 E.14th. 2

The current building was constructed in 1928. R. C. Schuppert was the architect, and the Gaubert Brothers were the builders. 3 It underwent a major remodel in 1969. 4

The business was run by Cooper until his death in 1935, when his wife, Rae Jeanette Cooper took over.

A long-time employee and later director was John McCormick. 5

1928 31969 4

Links and References

  1. Oakland diocese may purchase two mortuaries Oakland Tribune July 29, 2007
  2. ad Oakland Tribune April 12, 1922
  3. New Mortuary and Chapel Completed Oakland Tribune September 16, 1928
  4. ad - newly remodeled Oakland Tribune September 1, 1969
  5. Retiring funeral director reflects on 60-plus years of service Catholic Voice December 7, 2007