NAME, Years Elected to City Council
Charles W (CW) Wilkins served one term on city council: 1891-1892.
He was a contractor.
In 1893, he was at the center of the political controversy when Mayor-elect George Pardee and outgoing Mayor Chapman dueled over City Hall. Chapman had appointed him to the Board of Public Works and Pardee appointed John Towle. He resigned, he said, over the advice of his attorney in the hopes of restoring peace to the city.4 Apparently Wilkins was a popular man, as his non-appointment to the President of Council was big news in 1892.5
OTHER POSITIONS IN CITY GOVERNMENT
- "JOHN L. DAVIE FOR MAYOR." San Francisco Chronicle: Jan 31, 1899.
- "OAKLAND ELKS ELECT RULER." San Francisco Chronicle: Mar 28, 1908.
- "OAKLAND ELKS ELECT RULER."
- "Wilkins Extends the Olive Branch." San Francisco Chronicle: Apr 5, 1893.
- "OAKLAND NEWS: Politicians Furnished a Surprise." San Francisco Chronicle: Apr 19, 1892.