Charles S. Greene (1856–1930) was editor of the Overland Monthly from 1887 to 1899. In 1899 Greene became the third librarian for the City of Oakland, a position he held until 1926.
Greene was third city librarian of the Oakland Free Library from 1899 to 1926. Before accepting the position, Mr. Greene was the editor of the Overland Monthly and a poet. Charles S. Greene also served on various statewide library positions, including as a California State Library Trustee for many years.
In 1951 the Charles S Greene library was renamed in honor of Greene. The library operated as the Charles S. Greene Library from 1951 to 1971. Under Greene's leadership, the city obtained a second Carnegie grant, this time in the amount of $50,000 for construction of the library. The Ebell Society women members raised an additional $20,000 to purchase the land, and hired Coxhead & Coxhead to design the Children's Room. The City of Oakland funded the heating, lighting, shelving and furniture.
Greene believed in the importance of art in public spaces so murals by Marion Pope Holden and Arthur Mathews were hung in the library. Although some of the murals remain, other have been placed in the Oakland Museum.