Charles Hoffman & Company was a business selling wigs, theatrical costumes and makeup. For a time, they also did hairdressing. The company was in business from 1907 until at least 1935.
The company was started by Charles A. A. Hoffman, who had formerly been with Goldstein & Cohn in San Francisco. The first location was 1165 Washington in 1907. 1 By the end of 1908, they had moved to 476 - 13th St. 2 By 1911, they had moved to 222 San Pablo (1620 after the 1912 renumbering). 3
In 1912, his partner Mrs. Annie H. Eaton retired from the company, and Hoffman continued the business himself. 4 By 1913, the company had moved to 585 - 15th St. and an ad also lists George J. Garside. 5 Ads show at least two more addresses over the years, 488 - 13th St. (1917) and 530 - 12th St. (1930).
Hoffman was married to Rose (Hoffman), and they had a daughter, Edith Hoffman, who died at age 17 in 1933. Charles died in 1938. The Hoffmans are buried in Evergreen Cemetery.