Federal Realty Building (Cathedral Building) 1

The Oakland Cathedral Building (originally called the Federal Realty Building) is located at the intersection of Telegraph Avenue and Broadway, with an official address of 1615 Broadway. The building was designed by architect Benjamin Geer McDougall, and built in 1913/1914. The Gothic-Chateauesque flatiron style building has a terra cotta facade covering the concrete structure. The building's appearance led to the "Cathedral Building" nickname.

Before the 1906 earthquake, wooden buildings occupied this lot, as well as the lots around the current site of the building at the intersection of Telegraph and Broadway. The Latham Fountain is in a small plaza in front of the Cathedral Building.

photo circa 1920 3The clothing store Uptown Runway was located on the ground floor of the building.  Listen to a Halloween tour of the building produced by Oakland North here.  A 1978 picture available on the National Register website shows that this space was then occupied by a Doggie Diner. A 1920 picture courtesy of the Oakland History Room shows that the ground floor was then occupied by the Federal Drug Co. 3

What else is in this building? Would you believe -- condos?

On April 12, 1983 the Cathedral Building was designated Oakland Landmark #LM 83-23.

Federal Realty - Cathedral Building Construction (Cheney Photo Advertising Company, 1913) 2Front view of the Cathedral BuildingThe main entrance to the upper floors of the building.

Links and References

  1. Federal Realty Building (Cathedral Building) Negative #F-794, Oakland History Room Collection
  2. eBay listing for negative
  3. Federal Realty Building by way of Facebook's Oakland History group