The media is filled with news about COVID-19. This page contains news items of interest to Oakland.
It is not an attempt to exhaustively link every news story about COVID-19 and Oakland.
A number of news agencies that normally charge for access are providing free access to their COVID-19 coverage.
- East Bay Times COVID-19 coverage
- Berkeleyside Coronavirus coverage
- KQED Live Updates: Coronavirus in the Bay Area
- SF Chronicle COVID-19 live updates
- East Bay Parks could be next to shut down East Bay Times March 24, 2020
- Alameda County reports first death from COVID-19, 16 additional cases East Bay Times March 23, 2020
- Oakland police officer tests positive for COVID-19 East Bay Times March 20, 2020
- Bay Area locks down as seven counties face ‘unprecedented’ shelter-in-place order East Bay Times March 16, 2020
- Oakland Public Schools to Close for 3 Weeks Over Coronavirus Concerns nbcbayarea.com March 13, 2020
- Coronavirus: Where is it spreading around the Bay Area? East Bay Times March 13, 2020
- Oakland declares state of emergency, bans mass gatherings abc7news.com March 11, 2020
- Oakland bans events with 1,000+ people at city-owned venues KRON4.com March 11, 2020
- Coronavirus scare affecting Oakland Chinatown merchants KTVU March 5, 2020
Oakland made wider news when California decided the Port of Oakland was the best choice for bringing the Grand Princess cruise ship back. The ship was carrying 3,535 people, with 21 known cases, but the rest needed to be checked and sent for treatment or quarantine. Officials set up an 11-acre temporary facility for processing the passengers. After letting off most of the passengers and crew, the ship has moved to anchor in SF Bay.
- Grand Princess crew member dies in San Francisco hospital East Bay Times April 3, 2020
- Grand Princess cruise lets 500 crew members disembark, relocates after coronavirus cases USA Today March 16, 2020
- Grand Princess to stay in Oakland until Sunday, blow past 72-hour goal East Bay Times March 12, 2020
'People here don't matter': arrival of coronavirus-hit ship in Oakland plucks at old hurts Guardian March 11, 2020
- Grand Princess arrives in Port of Oakland as state’s coronavirus death toll rises East Bay Times March 9, 2020
- Photos: Coronavirus-stricken Grand Princess arrives at Port of Oakland East Bay Times March 9, 2020
- Coronavirus-stricken Grand Princess to dock in Oakland Monday East Bay Times March 7, 2020
- Virus-stricken cruise ship returns to California, former passenger dies East Bay Times March 4, 2020