The Bradley Building (named for Mary J. Bradley) is located at 1404-15 Webster Street / 350-56 Fourteenth Street, Oakland, California. Charles W. Dickey was the architect and the owner was listed as the builder of this early 20th century commercial store building.
"This is an early 20th century brick commercial building on a corner lot. It is a low two stories (originally one story and a mezzanine), rectangular plan, with a straight parapet, molded cornice with dentils, ten storefronts, and a band of upper floor metal sash windows. Exterior walls are brown brick, with simple decorative brickwork in the frieze. Plans describe it as "brick, steel and mill construction." Visible alterations new windows, ground floor alteration including new brick surfaces, and awnings. Original plans show eight narrow storefronts on Webster Street and two on 14th Street and a tall transom level now converted to a second story.
Historically this building reflects small scale speculative development in Downtown Oakland. It is an early example of the decorative brick commercial style that became popular in the 1920s, by one of Oakland's most prominent early 20th century architects." 1
This historic building is #33 on the list of District Contributors for the Downtown Oakland Historic District Registration Form.
Links & References
- National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Downtown Oakland Historic District