Borax Smith’s Red House was the home of Francis ("Frank") Marion "Borax" Smith and his wife Mary while Arbor Villa was being constructed, and was referred to as the "old red house." The parents of Evelyn Ellis (later the second Mrs. Smith) lived there after ~1905.
On June 6, 1995, Borax Smith's Red House was designated Oakland Landmark, #120, Zoning Case #LM 95-44.
Currently, the 'Red House' is now painted green. It has been moved several times. 1,2 [ needs work ]
817 East 24th Street, Oakland, California
Links and References
Francis Marion "Borax" Smith Oakland Wiki
Oakland Landmarks Oakland Heritage
Historic Preservation City of Oakland
Oakland California Landmarks Oakland Marks