Bike East Bay (originally the East Bay Bicycle Coalition) is a 501(c)3 non-profit that works for safe, convenient, and enjoyable bicycling for all people in the East Bay.
The first big goal and success of the organization in the 1970s was getting bicycles allowed on BART. Some of the organization's current activities in Oakland include:
- Organizing the yearly Bike to Work Day activities every May
- Providing free bike education classes for adults, youth, and families, in English, Spanish, and Cantonese
- Hosting their annual Pedalfest and Biketopia events
- Advocating for better bicycle infrastructure, facilities, legislation, and funding throughout Oakland
In 2013 they moved back to Oakland after outgrowing the 200 sq ft office space in Berkeley. Current address is 466 Water Street (between Broadway and Washington Street) in Jack London Square.
In 2014, they changed their name from the East Bay Bicycle Coalition to Bike East Bay.
In 2015 the free bike classes won the Best Free Bike Classes award from the East Bay Express.
- www.BikeEastBay.org - Website
- @BikeEastBay - Twitter
- Flickr - Group Pool of mostly creative commons photographs
- Page - The Book of Faces