Beulah Park was a park near where the Central Reservoir is now. It hosted church camp meetings and 'revivals'. It was one of the destinations noted on the cars of the Highland Park & Fruit Vale Railroad.
The first reference found in the Oakland Tribune was in 1883. 4
In 1895, the Beulah Park Camp Meeting Association filed to be able to sell some of the land. 2 Meetings were still held there until at least 1922. 3 A newspaper photo in 1926 is labeled "Former Beulah Park—Now Modern Homes." 5
The Beulah Park name still appears on maps to at least 1918, but much of it was subdivided by then. A short street named Beulah Place existed until the MacArthur freeway was built.
Links and References
- Beulah Park Oakland Tribune April 29, 1956
- Order to Show Cause Oakland Tribune April 20, 1895
- Camp Meeting Night Service Ends Campaign Oakland Tribune September 23, 1922
- East Oakland Items Oakland Tribune August 1, 1883
- Former Beulah Park—Now Modern Homes Oakland Tribune July 11, 1926
- Beulah Park Meeting Oakland Tribune July 25, 1908
- Alliance Plans Busy Meeting Oakland Tribune July 20, 1910
- Matheny Buys Beulah Park as Homestead Tract Oakland Tribune March 29, 1925