An average of 50 to 100 children were in the home. The Salvation Army took over in 1908 2 and it was sometimes referred to as the Salvation Army Home, Beulah Heights. In 1921, the Salvation Army was raising funds for a new facility to be built at Garden Street, which would later become the Booth Memorial Hospital. 3
Alice became McClelland Street when the area was annexed by Oakland; the section of McClelland street was destroyed when the MacArthur Freeway was built. Rose Avenue became Hopkins, which was replaced by the freeway.
Links and References
- 1909 Directory
- The New International Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements edited by Stanley Burgess
- Final Appeal Made for Salvation Home Oakland Tribune May 24, 1921