Among the Best Lines from Peter Y. Liuʼs OakWiki page:
(Response to a question from “Make Oakland Better” regarding the relative roles of the Mayor, the City Administrator and the Council:)
The mayor tells the city administrator how to grow the weed. The city administrator then grows the weed. Then the council members smokes the weed to see if it is good or not. If the weed is good, the city admin continues to grow the weed, if it is bad, each city council member grow their own weed to see if they can come up with something better. Once they are convinced they have a better weed, theyʼll aim for the mayorʼs office next election.
(Response to a question about street paving:)
Deteriorated streets stay in poor neighborhoods. Streets in rich neighborhoods will be paved with Gold every 15 years.
Add your own favorites below!
Longtime Lurker says: be sure not to miss his classic answers to:
- Why do you think the B.A.R. should endorse you?
- Motivation: Why did you choose to run for City office?
- Accountability: How do you propose making yourself accountable and accessible to the citizens of Oakland?
- Endorsements: Who has endorsed you so far?
- Would you vote to allow more grey water systems?
- How do you plan to reverse the ongoing deterioration of our streets and sidewalks?
- What is your understanding of the relative responsibilities of the Mayor and City Administrator as established in the Charter?
- If elected, what will you do to bridge the digital divide in Oakland?
… and my #1 favorite …
- Has the City of Oakland made decisions that are in the public interest in regards to the cityʼs three professional sports teams?