The church was named for Joseph A. Beebe, an early CME bishop, although the name was initially spelled "Bebee" rather than "Beebe." 1
In 1925, a group began meeting at the home of Mr. Jerry and Mrs. Catherine Wayner (probably 717 - 20th St.) The fledgling congregation moved to 819 – 37th Street which they purchased from 1925 to 1927. According to the church website, the small congregation couldn't afford the building alone, so they rented it out to a Baptist church. 2 The church building is still there, and labeled Church of the Living God. It's labeled on the 1912 Sanborn as Norwegian Methodist Episcopal.
In 1946, the church had plans to build a new building. 3 Instead, in December 1947 they moved to 598 - 31st Street, 2 a building which was previously First Pentecostal Church. Rev. L. S. White was the pastor.
A couple of decades later, the 31st Street location was directly in the path of the Grove Shafter Freeway, so the congregation was forced to relocate again. On Sunday, April 17, 1966, Rev. White and others led the congregation to their new building at 3900 Telegraph, which was previously the site of the Senator Theatre. This much larger structure includes a social hall, day care, and 22 classrooms, and is designated as a cathedral because "it was built by the architects to look" that way. 1,2